Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to know Jiu Jitsu in order to study Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
No, you don't. We offer beginner fundamental classes, many people who train jiu jitsu started without any prior martial arts experience.
Do I need any special equipment to study Jiu Jitsu?
Students typically wear a Gi, two-piece garment worn by martial artists. (Scroll down to 'What to Expect for Your First Class' for more information.)
Can Brazilian Jiu Jitsu help me defend myself?
Yes, absolutely. It's one of the most effective self-defense techniques and often preferred because it teaches students to leverage their body weight to defeat larger opponents.
Will taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes help me loose weight?
It can, especially if you combine training jiu jitsu with a healthy diet and lifestyle. Jiu Jitsu provides a great full body workout that burns calories, builds muscles, and boost the metabolism.
What to Expect For Your First Class
1) Proper Mindset
Realize that every single person you will train with were in your shoes at one point.
2) What will I need to wear?
Typical jiu jitsu attire is a Gi, which will be provided to you for your first class.
3) What to wear under your Gi?
T-shirt (one to workout in) or rashguard. Athletic shorts or briefs under Gi pants.
Bring sliders or flip-flops to wear off the mats. THERE ARE NO SHOES ON THE MATS.
- Bring a full container or bottle of water to stay hydrated
- Arrive on time
- Do not go barefoot in the bathroom
- Wash your Gi after EVERY class
- Also wash yourself! Shower and wash your face after class. Things like staph and ringworm can easily be avoided with some simple cleanliness
- Do not wear any jewelry or piercings while training
- Keep fingernails and toe nails short
- Practice good hygiene prior to attending class
6) Enjoy the Ride, Relax and HAVE FUN!